I spent quite a bit of time in the kitchen this week, courtesy of my new little man. Monkey loves to sit in his bouncer on the kitchen counter and take in the surroundings. He does this with such a sweet, active and alert expression that I can’t help but want to spend my days kitchen-side. But, who can be kitchen-side and not cook (or bake)? Hence, my husband groaning about the leftovers and my recurring nightmare that I’ll be 900 lbs when I go back to work.
Things we ate this week and quick thoughts/reviews (since I’m a chronic one-time recipe maker):
1) Bolognese Sauce – shame on me if I make this only one time, it was AWESOME. In fact, we had it for two meals this week and I had an entire tupperware container to freeze. Couple notes for next time: try and find the bulk spicy Italian sausage. Substituting the links (and subsequently opening and attempting to crumble each one) is a major time suck. If the meat mixture doesn’t get crumbly enough, run it through the food processor. And, don’t be afraid to increase the veggie portions indicated in the recipe.
2) The Best Little Potatoes – the name doesn’t lie, and even Tim, the potato hater, liked them. I made them with fingerlings, but I’ll be trying them other other types. Served with pork tenderloin and garlic green beans, delish.
3) Hot Italian Panini and Broccoli Cheddar Soup – this got mixed reviews and may not rise to the top of my “must make again” pile, although the soup is growing on me. I’m at fault for the Panini Fail – I didn’t have the right ingredients and had the griddle turned up way too high. The soup has gotten better over the days – perhaps it needed to be chilled for the flavors to meld.
4) Grasshopper Bars – trying these out for a party tomorrow. Fingers crossed.
5) Pecan Pie – this pie is trouble in a dish. Addictive, delicious, horrible for you. Eating it caused me to make a mental note that I could easily eat pecan pie every day. I then promptly made a New Year’s Resolution to not eat pecan pie every day.